Wednesday, February 4, 2009

So What’s Normal?

©Millie McNabb

I was reading about blood tests recently and was struck by the fact that the “normal” range of the test results is determined by the median 95% of the “healthy” population. That explains why those ranges are shifting: the range may not actually be healthy, but if enough people are in that range, it’s considered normal.

Unfortunately, that’s also the way many people decide how to live. If the majority of the population considers it normal, it must be right. Paul expressed this as a desire to please men in Galatians 1:10. “For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.”


Have you experienced something that was considered normal in our culture, and perhaps been surprised to learn that it was not pleasing to God?

God bless….

Millie McNabb, founder of Christian Values Legacy, offers parenting seminars that focus on passing on your Christian values. Request your free report “Considerations for Intentionally Raising Children to Become Christian Adults” today at www.ChristianValuesLegacy.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right. The term normal is very arbitrary. The more I read about God's standards, the more confusing life becomes. I find that almost everything I was taught in church is wrong. We have passed down bad habits from generation to generation. Just like the game telephone, the message is no longer what it started out as. We must always look to the source.

Millie McNabb, BA, BMus said...

Hi, Anonymous. Thanks for your comment.

You're right that we must look to the Source. Too many people become disillusioned with "Churchianity" and abandon "Christianity" along with it. Jesus had some pretty strong words for those that adhered to "traditions" in place of God's Word.

I remember people in church, after they had read the Bible, saying, "May God bless the reading of His Word." This went totally past me, until one person said, "May God bless the reading of His Word to your greater understanding." I started praying that each time before I read the Bible, and found that God's Word took away many confusions of life.