Friday, December 5, 2008

Sow in Tears, Reap in Joy

I’m reading Jeremiah now in my personal Bible reading. Jeremiah is known as “The Weeping Prophet.” It brought to mind “Those who sow in tears shall reap with joyful shouting” in Psalm 126:5.

I was a tomboy growing up. When I was in first or second grade, I fell on the playground, and got an ugly scrape on my forearm. However, I didn’t cry. Several classmates made comments like, “Ooh, you’re so brave. That must hurt, and you’re not crying.” I began to make it a matter of pride not to cry—not just for pain, but for any situation.

When I was in college, I came to the realization that I was crying for books and movies, but not for real life. I also realized that when I cut off tears, I became emotionally neutral, which also cut off joy. I intentionally started the journey back of allowing myself to cry.

Tears are evoked when something touches us emotionally. God uses tears to point us toward His purpose for us. What makes you cry? Where has God led you through tears?

God bless…

Millie McNabb, B.A., B.Mus.

Do you cry for concern that your children might miss, dismiss, or reject your Christian values?

Strategies and support for parents who are intentionally raising children to become Christian adults. www.ChristianValuesLegacy.com

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Millie,

Sometimes commercials make me cry! Seriously, I do cry when my kids rebel or I see ugliness in their hearts. I cry when I have totally exhausted myself. I feel it is then that God shows me that I can't do it on my own. Not even a little bit.

Have a great day!

Kristi