Thursday, April 2, 2009

Christian Values in Economics: The Wrong Prayer

©Millie McNabb

Shortly after the 9-11, 2001 destruction of the Twin Towers, I was in a prayer group. I requested prayer for the economy of our country. The next morning, I had the distinct impression that I had prayed the wrong prayer, as God directed me to this passage in Deuteronomy 30:8-9a. "And you shall again obey the LORD, and observe all His commandments which I command you today. Then the LORD your God will prosper you abundantly in all the work of your hand….”

The prosperity of the country is connected to the obedience of the people to God. In his book, America: To Pray, or Not to Pray, David Barton shows the decline in various segments of our society since the Supreme Court decision to remove prayer and Bible reading from the schools in 1962.

When Solomon dedicated the temple, God answered his prayer with these words in II Chronicles 7:13-14. "If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

Our national economy is facing uncertain times as various “bubbles” deflate. We need to pray that “we who are called by His name” will humble ourselves. We need to prepare ourselves for the possibility that God is at work to burst our bubble of self-sufficiency to cause us to return to Him.

As you teach children Christian values, include lessons about the economy. As you pray with your children, approach God humbly and acknowledge your dependence upon Him. As you make decisions about the family finances, include your children, as appropriate, in the discussions. If you homeschool, make Godly economics a part of your studies.

I invite you to share your stories of lessons from the changing economy, and how you see God at work.

God bless….

Millie McNabb, founder of Christian Values Legacy, offers parenting seminars that focus on passing on your Christian values. Request your free report “Considerations for Intentionally Raising Children to Become Christian Adults” today at http://www.christianvalueslegacy.com./

2 comments:

Travels with Dolly and Molly said...

There are so many scriptures that support the idea that "..if ye keep my commandments, ye shall prosper in the land." Thanks for your insights. Couldn't agree with you more.

Millie McNabb, BA, BMus said...

Judyth,

That connection of honoring God and the land prospering is lost in much of our culture. It's great to have like-minded comments. Thanks.