Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Choose a Spouse: Character vs. Characters

©Millie McNabb

I was talking with a newlywed wife and she exclaimed, “I am so mad at his mother.
Why didn’t she train him better?”

God does expect parents to train their children. For example, Moses in Deuteronomy 4:10 reminds the people of the day they received the Ten Commandments. "{Remember} the day you stood before the LORD your God at Horeb, when the LORD said to me, 'Assemble the people to Me, that I may let them hear My words so they may learn to fear Me all the days they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children'.” The people are to learn themselves and teach their children.

I recall seeing a classroom bulletin board which read, “I said develop character, not be a character.” When you’re looking for a spouse, look for one who has developed character. Look for the one who has been trained with Christian values, and shows respect in public and in private.

When my grandmother met the man who is now my husband, she observed that he opened the doors for me. A banker commented to me that my father always removed his overshoes or wiped his feet when he entered the building. A teenager who worked on our farm commented in amazement that he had never heard my father swear. These are signs of developed character.

What signs of developed character did you see in your spouse?

God bless….

Millie McNabb, founder of Christian Values Legacy, offers parenting seminars that focus on passing on your Christian values. Request your free report “Considerations for Intentionally Raising Children to Become Christian Adults” today at http://www.christianvalueslegacy.com./

No comments: