Thursday, May 7, 2009

Christian Values in Economics: Good Steward

©Millie McNabb

I grew up on a farm, and each of us six children had household responsibilities, as well as farm chores to do. My household chore was to gather the trash, and burn it in the incinerator barrel. I liked seeing the flame catch hold and spread throughout the barrel, so it was a good match (pun intended.)

All in all, housekeeping is not my strong suit. My college roommate once told me the only thing domestic about me was that I was born in the country. However, that did not excuse me from being a good steward and training my children to be good stewards.

Our goal was to have our children be able to run the household by the time they were twelve (Jewish age of accountability.) I organized the work in two different ways:
1) By task such as dusting, cleaning sinks, vacuuming, laundry
2) By room
I made up laminated checklists that included everything that needed to be done and what cleaning product to use.

After everyone knew how to do everything, we divided the work up according to what each child liked to do best. We continued to rotate the chores that nobody was excited about.

“And the Lord said, ‘Who then is the faithful and sensible steward, whom his master will put in charge of his servants, to give them their rations at the proper time?’” (Luke 12:42)

I invite you to share your stewardship plan.

God bless….

Millie McNabb, founder of Christian Values Legacy, offers parenting seminars that focus on passing on your Christian values. Request your free report “Considerations for Intentionally Raising Children to Become Christian Adults” today at www.ChristianValuesLegacy.com.

No comments: