Friday, November 14, 2008

Investing for Future Delegation

Sometime in October, one of my daughters asked me a question about Thanksgiving dinner. At some level I knew Thanksgiving was coming, but I wasn’t into the details yet. This daughter has been handling many details for me over the last year, which is something to be very thankful for.

Jethro, Moses’ father-in-law, saw how Moses was doing everything himself. He told Moses, “This is not good. You will wear yourself out.” He then went on to advise Moses how to delegate his responsibilities (Exodus 18.)

For parents, children are a natural resource to help you from wearing out. I know, we often complain that the children are the ones wearing us out. However, children really are quite capable at a very young age. My two-year old grand-daughter helped me load the dishwasher this evening. (She also counted the silverware, getting to thirteen, then ending with two.)

The challenge is to intentionally invest time in training our children, as a part of our everyday lives. Growing up, I eagerly got up early so I could go milk the cows with my dad. I started out watching him get the cows in while I played with the kittens. He involved me in more of the process over time, and I remember being surprised and pleased, at about junior high age, when he asked, “Do you think you could handle this on your own today?”

Part of Jethro’s advice to Moses was to teach the people, observe who was following the teaching, and promote the good followers to positions of leadership. We go through that process over and over with our children. We teach them, we work with them as they learn, and then we turn them loose to do it on their own.

May you invest time in training your children to be your right-hand-man or woman. God bless….

Millie McNabb, BA, BMus

Strategies and support for parents who are intentionally raising children to become Christian adults.
www.ChristianValuesLegacy.com

Is your greatest desire to have your children become gracious, mature, productive Christian adults?

Millie McNabb, founder of Christian Values Legacy, offers parenting seminars that focus on passing on your Christian values. Request your free report “Considerations for Intentionally Raising Children to Become Christian Adults” today at www.ChristianValuesLegacy.com.

No comments: