Friday, May 8, 2009

An Inheritance

©Millie McNabb

We’re cleaning out the house where my mother-in-law lived for over 60 years. As you might imagine, there’s an accumulation of things with varying degrees of value. There are the practical, usable items. There are collectibles. There are antiques. Beyond their intrinsic value, anything could have sentimental value to someone.

Over the past twelve years, I’ve been involved in settling six estates. As I was discarding financial records, I found myself saving the paper clips. The thought came to me that for all the time the person had invested in careful book-keeping, now the most valuable thing was the paper clip. I decided to redeem my time wisely and toss the paper clips, too.

Our earthly work and possessions are not our inheritance. Part of being a good steward is good record keeping. It is also our civic responsibility for tax purposes. My mother-in-law honored God as she did her work well. By example, she passed on her Christian values as she was living.

“Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.”
(Colossians 3:23-24.)

What will your children inherit?

God bless….

Millie McNabb, founder of Christian Values Legacy, offers parenting seminars that focus on passing on your Christian values. Request your free report “Considerations for Intentionally Raising Children to Become Christian Adults” today at http://www.christianvalueslegacy.com./

No comments: