Monday, December 8, 2008

Deserving a Break

Yesterday I took my grand-daughters to our local playland/restaurant. They ate about half of their food, and then headed into the play area. They climbed to the top tier, came down the curly slide, explored the nooks and crannies, and periodically got my attention to “Look at me.” After about 30 minutes, I gave them the "5 more minutes" notice.

Then my adventure began. Usually they're pretty good about coming when I then say it's time to go. However, yesterday, I had to capture the two-year-old to put her shoes and coat on. When I let her go, she ran into the caged area and threw herself flat on the floor. I picked her up by the back of the coat and hauled her out.

Then the three-year-old escaped, giggling, into the little playhouse. I would be at risk of getting stuck going in after her, so with the younger one under one arm, I got the older one’s shoes and coat gathered up, and waited just out of sight for her to poke her nose out. When she did, I scooped her up. She started hollering, and we headed for the car.

Lesson #1: Don't take young children out at naptime.
Lesson #2: If you ignore lesson #1, take another adult with you.

I invite you to share your adventures with unruly children in public.

God bless…


Millie McNabb, B.A., B.Mus.

Strategies and support for parents who are intentionally raising children to become Christian adults. www.ChristianValuesLegacy.com

No comments: