Friday, January 30, 2009

Corn Flakes ala Crayon

©Millie McNabb

My grand-daughters were having a tea party. They set the table, using their toy dishes and food. They arranged the chairs, and set their stuffed animals in place to enjoy the party. Then they invited me to come taste the “blueberry pie” they were serving.

It was a fun and creative time—but later, left to their own devices, they became even more creative. The climber retrieved the cornflakes from the cupboard and added some to the dishes and water cups. The stronger one opened the supplies drawer and added crayons as a colorful topping for the “pies.”

Their mother was not pleased, but together, the four of us got things cleaned up. It reminded me of my mother paraphrasing Scripture: “When I became a mother, I put away childish things.”

Paul wrote in I Corinthians 13:11, “When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” As a parent, there’s a balance to letting your children be children, and training them to become grown up.

Are you enjoying tea parties with the children around you?

God bless….

Millie McNabb, founder of Christian Values Legacy, offers parenting seminars that focus on passing on your Christian values. Request your free report “Considerations for Intentionally Raising Children to Become Christian Adults” today at www.ChristianValuesLegacy.com.

No comments: