Monday, January 26, 2009

Overcoming the Dish Pile

©Millie McNabb

There was a time when I was nearly defeated by a pile of dishes. We had three young children and had just moved to a new city. The house we moved into had no dishwasher. Growing up we had no dishwasher—except that my mother claimed to have six of them. With eight people per meal, those dishes added up in a hurry.

I had gotten used to having a dishwasher, but we’d moved. Now here I was in unfamiliar territory, surrounded by a counter full of dirty dishes. The whole thing was starting to overwhelm me.

I caught myself before I went too far that direction. “Glasses! I know how to wash glasses.” I gathered the glasses and got them washed and put away, followed by silverware, plates and bowls. By starting with the little thing, I soon had the whole job done.

When God was bringing the Israelites into the promised land, He used this same principle, as written in Exodus 23:29-30, "I will not drive them out before you in a single year, that the land may not become desolate and the beasts of the field become too numerous for you. I will drive them out before you little by little, until you become fruitful and take possession of the land.”

Have you had successes in the “little by little” mode?

God bless…

Millie McNabb, founder of Christian Values Legacy, offers parenting seminars that focus on passing on your Christian values. Request your free report “Considerations for Intentionally Raising Children to Become Christian Adults” today at http://www.christianvalueslegacy.com./

No comments: