Friday, January 23, 2009

New Songs

©Millie McNabb

I’ve been enjoying the new piano music my daughter gave me for Christmas. Some are hymns written in the style of classical music. Others are arrangements by Dino Kartsonakis. I’m mostly sight-reading for fun, but I’ll choose a couple to practice and play skillfully.

When I was growing up, my piano teacher was the church music director. She was very intentional about training up church organists. She worked with potential students and had someone lined up every two years to become the next organist.

One of the training grounds was the evening church service, which often included a time to “pick a hymn, any hymn.” My dad, bless his heart, would always pick a song he knew I knew. The congregation was tolerant as initially, I scrambled my way through their favorite songs. Over time, I became skilled at sight-reading, and it’s now one of the things I enjoy most.

People often quote a Scripture of, “Sing a new song” or “Make a joyful noise.” As an instrumentalist, I like Psalm 33:3. “Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy.”

How did you get involved in church music?

God bless…

Millie McNabb, B.A., B.Mus.

Strategies and support for parents who are intentionally raising children to become Christian adults. www.ChristianValuesLegacy.com

No comments: