Monday, February 9, 2009

Forgiveness and Hugs

©Millie McNabb

Today I was taking care of the grandchildren for a couple of hours. We had just finished putting puzzles together. The younger one mixed her pieces up again, and was reaching out to do the same to her sister’s puzzle. I told her, “No. Leave your sister’s puzzle alone.”

After a minute, when I wasn’t looking, she reached over and mixed up the pieces. I disciplined her and then talked to her about it. After several minutes of avoiding making eye contact, wiggling, and requesting a drink, we talked. At the end of the discussion I had her tell me, “I’m sorry I disobeyed you. Will you forgive me?” I said, “Yes, I forgive you. Shall we have a hug now?”

We all have the need to ask others for forgiveness. We need to clear the slate, and affirm our love for each other. We need to teach our children to go through the process, and not just shrug it off saying, “It’s okay,” when it’s not. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (I John 1:9)

Do you have any stories of teaching children to forgive?

God bless….

Millie McNabb, founder of Christian Values Legacy, offers parenting seminars that focus on passing on your Christian values. Request your free report “Considerations for Intentionally Raising Children to Become Christian Adults” today at www.ChristianValuesLegacy.com.

No comments: