Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Respect Belongings

©Millie McNabb

My daughter and I were talking about my yesterday’s blog. She reminded me of a song that I taught them about respecting other’s belongings. It is to the tune of “Jesus Loves Me.” Change the name, to fit the owner.

This is Millie’s, I won’t touch,
For I love her very much.
I won’t fuss and I won’t whine,
I will play with what is mine.

She told me of a time about a week after I’d taught them this song, when her sister was gone, and she went and got one of her things. A “live” review of the lesson, made a lasting impression on her about respecting things even if the owner is not present.

We tend to focus on the concept of sharing. However, there are important lessons to teach our children about not coveting. The tenth commandment is “Thou shalt not covet…” (Exodus 20:17) and includes people as well as belongings in the list. Paul in Romans 7:7 states the importance of knowing it was wrong to covet. Children need to be taught right from wrong.

Do you remember a “right from wrong” lesson you learned?

God bless….

Millie McNabb, founder of Christian Values Legacy, offers parenting seminars that focus on passing on your Christian values. Request your free report “Considerations for Intentionally Raising Children to Become Christian Adults” today at www.ChristianValuesLegacy.com.

No comments: