Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Rest of the Story

©Millie McNabb

Today was a travel day for me, so I’m looking forward to getting some rest. When I was growing up, I worked long days on the farm. We typically got started early, took a break around noon for lunch and a rest, and then worked late.

One day I had come in from the field, and was sitting down, when my grandmother who was visiting, leaned down and said to me, “Get up, you lazy girl, and help your mother get the food on the table.” I immediately pointed out, that I had been out working since breakfast and deserved a break AND that she said nothing to my brothers who were also sitting around. Her retort was, “No rest for the wicked,” (a paraphrase of Isaiah 48:22 and 57:21.) I slouched into the kitchen and helped my mother.

(My children know this story, and if I refer to my grandmother, ask if I’m talking about the “He’p yourself” Grandma or the “No rest for the wicked” Grandma.)

We don’t always get to rest, when we need it. In fact, it’s when we need rest, but are called upon to serve others, that our maturity level is revealed. If you look at Mark 6 and Matthew 14 for the greater context of the story of the feeding of the five thousand, Jesus had just learned of the death of John the Baptist. He invited his disciples to get away together for a little rest. Then the crowd showed up, and Jesus had compassion on them, choosing to forsake the private retreat in order to serve the people.

Have you been called upon to serve when you were just getting ready to rest?

God bless….

Millie McNabb, founder of Christian Values Legacy, offers parenting seminars that focus on passing on your Christian values. Request your free report “Considerations for Intentionally Raising Children to Become Christian Adults” today at www.ChristianValuesLegacy.com.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I could tell you stories that would fill the memory banks!
But mostly just when I have nothing left to give and would rather just go to sleep, the baby will wake up needing to be fed or a diaper change. She doesn't know how tired I am so it doesn't do me any good to have a sour face about the whole thing.